Saturday, December 19, 2009

The White Out...

I still have memories about the blizzard of '96 which buried this area in almost 5 feet of snow and closed the schools for a week and a half. Those were some golden childhood memories...

But now I am a man... and these memories will not sit well.

I went to Richmond yesterday to take care of some business and last night enjoyed a fine snowy evening with my friends. This morning the snow had tapered off a little and I prepare for the long drive back to NOVA. I was very foolish not to check the weather news for after trudging along an un-plowed interstate 95, it began to snow again around Fredricksburg. The roads turned into anarchy with many cars and trucks suddenly stopping or swirling out of control. I wanted to pull off and pull into a hotel a couple times but to my horror the unploughed exit ramps were blocked by accidents or trapped cars. I finally found a clear exit in Stafford VA and after narrowly escaping the parking lot of one fully booked hotel, I got my car somewhat parked into a parking lot of the Wingate which had a substantial amount of rooms.

I'm still in a bit of shock, but that was undoubtedly the most dangerous drive I've ever taken so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment